The pike is one of the most coveted trophies for any angler. This beautiful predator is extremely mobile and fast; in a matter of seconds it manages to grab the prey and drag it to the bottom of the reservoir, and strong fins, a strong tail and an elongated body allow it to escape from the fisherman.
Fishing for pike with a spinning rod requires careful planning and choosing the right bait depending on the season, fishing conditions and the expected size of the toothed predator.
- Spinning pike
- Types of lures used when fishing for pike
- What to catch pike in spring
- What to fish for in winter
- What to catch in the summer
- Toothed in autumn – what set of baits do you need?
- Lures for shallow and medium depths
- Lures for great depths
- What to fish for in “strong” places
- 10 best lures for pike – our subjective rating
- Поделиться ссылкой:
The best single pike fishing method is spinning. Of course, fishing with an ordinary rod or donk can be just as effective. But spinning is passion, sportiness and efficiency. Prepare for the fact that when fishing with spinning you will have to make a lot of casts to find the fish you need. For fishing to be effective, you need to choose the right tackle and
collect all the elements of the rig together… How to assemble a spinning rod for a beginner angler: https://tytkleva.net/lovlya-xishhnoj-ryby/spinning/komplektuyushhie-i-montazh/kak-sobrat-spinning.htm fast), length and test. As for the latter, up to 30 grams is enough for light lures, while for heavier lures for a trophy pike, a test of 30-40 grams will be needed, and more than 40 grams is for the largest
Shape of the blank [/ caption] It should be noted that the best choice for a beginner would be a light rod with a test in the range of 5-30 grams. As for the length of the rod, this is a completely individual decision. The length can be from 2.1 to 3 meters or more. Most often, anglers choose blank models in the range from 2.4 to 2.7 m – this is a universal option. With such a rod, you can fish anywhere without getting too tired of your hands. The most important thing is that the rod is made of durable materials with the correct load distribution. As for the coil,
when choosingit is necessary to pay attention to inertialess models with a spool volume of 2500 – 3000 according to Shimano. You also need to make sure that the reel has at least 4 bearings (including one thrust one), that its body is strong, the line winds without problems, and the brake works correctly.
Reel Daiwa Exceler 2500 – for beginner spinning players a worthy option in the middle price range [/ caption]
Types of lures used when fishing for pike
Silicone baits , wobblers, spinners – they all behave differently in the water. What type of bait to use depends on the body of water – water condition, transparency and depth. Every seasoned angler has their own favorite artificial pike lures, but if you are a beginner it is worth experimenting with this. Make sure you have different sizes and colors in your fishing box. When choosing, it is recommended to focus on manufacturers such as Savage Gear, Rapala, Westin, Berkley,
Mepps , DAM and others.
Set of spinners Meps [/ caption] Any small (compared to pike, not fry) fish is suitable for fishing with live bait.
The most effective are bleak,
crucian carp or
The advantages of live bait are the smell that attracts predatory fish and, of course, more natural movements in the water.
You can also fish with dead fish, but in this case, the bait must be moved very slowly and stopped every few turns of the reel. Many spinning enthusiasts prefer to use wobblers – artificial lures made of wood or hard plastic, as a rule, imitating a small live fish. Their name comes from the word wobble, which means “to hesitate.”
Wobblers are divided into different types, including by design:
- Jerkbaits are relatively large and heavy wobblers that work best in shallow water. Such bait is guided by alternating jerks and stops. For many years jerkbaits have dominated the shallow water wobblers group. Their randomness is very effective in provoking the pike to bite.
- Swimbaits are composite wobblers, consisting of at least three parts, thanks to which they perfectly imitate the movements of a swimming fish.
- Cicadas , in turn, are wobblers that mimic various insects, reptiles or amphibians. However, for hunting pike, cicadas that mimic frogs or mice are best suited. Some consider cicadas to be spoons. Therefore, the division is conditional.
- Minnow – these are the most classic wobblers, equipped with a directional blade and characterized by an elongated thin shape. They are usually used for fishing in the upper layers of the reservoir up to 2-3 meters.
- Shad is a wobbler with a high and flat body, in appearance vaguely resembling a herring, for which it got its name.
- Rattlin – sinking wobblers without a blade. Their animation is characterized by strong vibration, and inside they are small balls – a rattle. You can use them for fishing both in shallow water and at great depths. Acid ratlin for pike fishing at depths of 4-6 meters [/ caption]
- The Croatian egg is a very powerful and light egg-shaped surface lure. It is distinguished by its serious strength and high buoyancy. It is usually made from balsa. Fishing for pike on the “egg” is the same as with any other surface lures in shallow water – using uniform fishing (the bait is carried through the thickets without changing the speed) or twitching (the lure is pulled up with periodic jerks by the rod.
There are a lot of types of wobblers, but minnows are probably the most famous and popular [/ caption] It cannot be denied that a wobbler is a relatively expensive bait, and its proper management requires some experience from the angler. This is especially true for minnow wobblers that do not have their own game. Therefore, wobblers of the minnow class are recommended rather for experienced anglers. For novice spinning players, experts recommend silicone baits, rolls and spinners.
Spinners 2-4 sizes are good lures for pike fishing [/ caption] Spinners are often equipped with a bright brush, which encourages the predator to be even more aggressive. Spoons can be caught in almost all water horizons, but it is desirable that they do not touch the bottom. On the bottom it is better to work with jig baits.
Fishing for pike with a spoiler is effective in autumn [/ caption] Spinners (spinners) are colored plates that rotate around their axis in the water, attracting predatory fish. When fishing for pike, they should be directed to the floor of the water or in depth, but not touching the bottom. For pike fishing, you can also use the so-called spoons. They are easy to use and effectively provoke pike to attack, especially if they are yellow, red, aquamarine or white models. However, the color and size of the bait must match the depth and clarity of the particular water body. Lures for pike should be large, wide, possibly with red plumage on the tee.
Varieties of lures [/ caption] Of silicone lures for pike, vibro-tails, large twisters, worms and slugs are effective. You can also use foam fish, which in most cases can be made with your own hands. In shape, they resemble fry, in structure, they are solid, consist of several fixed parts. A hook is threaded through the body, often double. Foam lure is painted and disguised as roach, perch or perch. The pike is especially eager to bite on the foam lure, if it is at least eight centimeters in length. Wiring using foam bait – regular jig or uniform.
The best lures for spinning pike – video review: https://youtu.be/GDBxgoQPTK4
What to catch pike in spring
Medium and large pikes usually live alone, occupying a certain area, and in spring they are most active in May. After spawning is complete, it is easier to catch them, because at this time they are hungry and become less careful in search of food. The main types of lures for catching pike in early spring are spinners and floating wobblers with a depth of up to 2-3 meters.
Mepps Black Fury 2 and 3 numbers works well for pike in spring and summer [/ caption]
What to fish for in winter
In early winter, the underwater world changes dramatically. In all water areas, fish are either in the process of seasonal migration, or have already migrated. Migration is related to water temperature and food availability. Wintering grounds are usually deeper water with shallow water nearby. The success of pre-winter fishing is largely determined by knowledge of the water bodies. If you predict the wintering place of the pike, the
success of fishingalmost guaranteed. The choice of bait in winter is different from other seasons. The bait is driven in a vertical plane, unlike other seasons, and should be as slow as possible. Jerkbaits are a good choice – for example, the 35g Rutta CF (8cm), which is suitable for fishing at depths of up to 4 meters. However, this model has a peculiarity – it always acts in very different ways. Slow retrieving with a lazy, gentle lift of the rod is a very effective winter fishing method, especially for pike. Rattlin, vertical and horizontal lures are also popular for pike fishing in winter.
Acid and natural – two ratlins that will cover most situations on pike fishing [/ caption]
What to catch in the summer
Summer is a very difficult time for pike fishing. At this time of the year, dense underwater vegetation appears, often making fishing impossible. The temperature of the water and air rises, which is why the fish hide in cold pits at the bottom. On the shallows, pike comes out only at dawn, and at this time you can try to catch it with surface wobblers, poppers, rubber without load, turntables. At other times, in the summertime, it is better to fish for pike in deep lakes and rivers with jig lures, deep wobblers and heavy bobbles. You can fish by trolling if you have a boat. The lures for summer fishing, proven over the years, are edible and ordinary rubber, turntables and spoons, various wobblers. Mepsovsky Cyclops works on pike throughout the open water season [/ caption]
Toothed in autumn – what set of baits do you need?
Autumn is a great time for pike fishing. At this time, the underwater vegetation decreases noticeably, the temperature of the water and air drops, and more and more cloudy and windy days appear. Large, heavy pike spoons are best suited for autumn fishing.
Large wobblers are the best option for fishing for autumn pike [/ caption] From wobblers it is recommended to pay attention to the swimbait Ricky The Roach, imitating roach.
Ricky The Roach [/ caption] It is better to have several models of large wobblers of different colors and with different weights and sizes – in late autumn pikes are not as active as in spring, so slower retrieving is recommended. Also, when fishing at the bottom, you can recommend various massive jig lures.
Lures for shallow and medium depths
Floating wobblers with shallow depth are especially effective in shallow and medium depths, in shallow water bodies and peat bogs covered with vegetation, surface baits can be used. https://tytkleva.net/lovlya-xishhnoj-ryby/spinning/primanki/poverxnostnye-primanki-na-shhuku.htm When guiding, they simply slide along the surface of the water, the pike perceives the triggered bait as a frightened fish trying to escape, which provokes it to attack. At medium depths, the entire arsenal of pike lures works – various wobblers, spinners, rippers, twisters, worms and slugs, silicone crustaceans.
Lures for great depths
For great depths, when fishing for pike, they use dippy wobblers of the minnow, krenk, shed class. Heavy jibs and turntables with front weights. And, of course, jig lures with large weights, the weight of which corresponds to the depth. For 1 meter of depth about 3-4 grams of weight.
Mepsovskiy Lyusox – spoon, which is especially popular in autumn due to the fact that it has a front load and is suitable for use in deep places of rivers [/ caption]
What to fish for in “strong” places
For “strong” places, that is, for overgrown areas of the reservoir, coastal snags with jungle of reeds and grass, a special bait is required. In such places, as a rule, there is a very high risk of losing expensive wobblers, so experienced fishermen try to use cheaper silicone baits and various non-hooks.
Snag is a place where non-hooks for catching pike and other predators are especially relevant [/ caption] Silicone baits have high efficiency, which allow making long and accurate casts. Also, in overgrown areas at short distances, soft baits on offset trailers with loading work well. https://tytkleva.net/lovlya-xishhnoj-ryby/spinning/primanki/nezaceplyajki-na-shhuku.htm
10 best lures for pike – our subjective rating
Here are ten of the best pike lures for all seasons:
- The world standard for spinning lures is set by Mepps. We recommend the Aglia Long (size 2, 3, 4 and 5), Aglia 2-4 and Aglia Long Cast Tiger (size 3-4). Mepps Aglia Long [/ caption]
- The Savage Gear Rotex Spinner Dirty Silver in sizes 4 and 5 is an excellent spinning lure with Japanese triple hooks and reinforced steel split rings made of copper and silver alloy.
- The Rapala BX Minnow 10 cm is an absolute hit among the floating pike lures. Balsa core, realistic scales, head and gills, holographic eye and flat sides are the secret of success. The lure works at a depth of 0.9 to 1.5 meters and has a bright orange-yellow color.
- Salmo Slider 10 is a floating wobbler working at a depth of about 1 meter. It moves vigorously, pivoting left and right, provoking predators with shades of orange, yellow and green.
- Westin ShadTeez 12/16 cm – especially in Crazy Firetiger, an explosive mixture of green, black, yellow and red. It features not only realistic details (three-dimensional eyes, fins, scales) or a clearly defined belly, but also sweeping tail movements and natural swaying movements.
- The Savage Gear 4Play Herring Swim & Jerk is a four-section bladeless jerk. Provides high mobility that mimics the movements of fry. The strength of the connections is high enough to withstand the attack of a predator.
- Savage Gear 4D LB Herring Shad 13 is made in three sizes with two buoyancy options. The lightest version with a length of 9.5 centimeters is made in a sinking version. The two larger models, 13 and 19 centimeters, are slow sinking. The bait is also used for working in shallow water.
- The Savage Gear Cannibal 12.5 cm has an extremely realistic performance and is very effective in fishing for autumn pike and walleye, especially in the shades of Firetiger, Pike, Golden Ambulance and Red Head.
- Berkley Powerbait Pulse Shad has a unique scent that attracts pike like a magnet. Sturdy and resilient, the shape of the tail ensures good performance even when dribbled slowly.
- Vibrotail Westin HypoTeez – Similar to ShadTeez, it has a spectacular Crazy Firetiger shade. It is an ultra-realistic hand-colored lure with optimum flexibility and a slender body.
And also a beginner should buy a castmaster, Williams spinners, wobblers from well-known Japanese manufacturers for a couple of pieces for different depths, Blue Fox, Dam and other Meps spinners.
The question of the ideal spinning lure for pike is a very complex topic that requires a thorough knowledge of the reservoir and the habits of the fish. There is no universal answer to this question. Every seasoned fisherman has his own preferences and tricks, and for any recommendation there is always someone with a different opinion. Therefore, the best solution to this problem is experience, which sooner or later will come to every angler.